On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 05:25:17PM -0700, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> No, any sane VC protocol must specifically forbid the checkin of the
> stuff I want versioning (or file copies or whatever) for.  It's
> partial changes, probably doesn't compile, nearly certainly doesn't
> work.  This level of work product *cannot* be committed to the
> repository.
>
> [...]
>
> One of the big problems with CVS and SVN and Microsoft SourceSafe is
> that you don't have the benefits of version control most of the time,
> because all commits are *public*.

I think what you're saying is something like this: a VC repository is
one thing, but when I'm working on something not ready to put into that
repository I still want versioning in my "workspace."

That's still VC though!

In Teamware you use SCCS for version control in your workspace, then, if
you have wx (a script built atop Teamware) you collapse the SCCS deltas
to remove all the intermediate work and 'putback' just the end result to
the parent repository.

In Teamware the distinction between repository and workspace isn't :)

But you can work that way in many other VCs.  In PRCS, for example, you
can checkout a project, check it into a new repository, check in changes
as you go, then later do this again with the "trunk," merge, then
check-in to the original repository.  Or you can use one repository and
delete unsightly history.

Mercurial supports the model of development we use in ON based on
Teamware.  So you can also get version control for your intermediate
versions using Mercurial and lose the unsightly history when you're
ready to commit your changes to the gate.

It's been a while since I've used ClearCase, but I'm pretty sure there's
something like this there as well.

And, in any case, I think any good VC supports this.  And all should,
because with file versioning a la VMS I don't get a lot of things I
need, like comments, branches, history, merges, etc...

Nico