> I want to setup a ZFS server with RAID-Z.  Right now
> I have 3 disks.  In 6 months, I want to add a 4th
> drive and still have everything under RAID-Z without
> a backup/wipe/restore scenario.  Is this possible?

I am trying to figure out how to code this right now, as I see it being one of
most needed and ignored features of ZFS.  Unfortunately, there exists precious
little documentation of how the stripes are laid out, so I find myself studying
the code.

In addition to having the ability to add/remove a data drive, I can see use
cases for:
* Adding/removing arbitrary numbers of parity drives.
Raidz2 uses Reed-Solomon codes for the 2nd parity, which implies that there is
no practical limit on the number of parity drives.
* Maximizing the use of different disk sizes
Allowing the stripe geometry to vary throughout the vdev would allow maximal
use of space for different size devices, while preserving the desired fault
tolerance.

If such capabilities exist, you could start with a single disk vdev and grow it
to consume a large disk farm with any number of parity drives, all while the
system is fully available.