> On 1/18/07, . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> SYBA SD-SATA-4P PCI SATA Controller Card (
> http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E168
> 15124020 )
>

>From my home ZFS server setup, I had tried two Syba SD-SATA2-2E2I PCI-X SATA
>II Controller Cards without any luck; both cards' BIOS' wouldn't recgonize my
>SATA drives.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816124003R
Although the Syba tech support was reasonable, they only helped conclude that
BOTH of the cards I had received were defective - yep, that was 0 and 2.

Perhaps the other model listed above works better, I don't know.  In the end, I
just stuck with my onboard SATA I/O which is only SATA 150, but was still fast
enough for my network.

For my ZFS home server, I was able to find an excellent Sun W1100z on eBay
~$360 that came with a 2.4GHz Opteron, 1GB ECC RAM, Quardro FX 500, and 80Gb
IDE drive - perfect for the basis of my ZFS server build-up.  To that I've
added two Seagate Barracude ES ST3400620NS 400Gb SATA II drives for about $360
that now run my 400Gb whole-disk ZFS mirror.  Overall I'm in for $720 for a
great server/workstation with 400Gb of redundant storage, not bad, and
performance is much better, with much greater functionality, than most $1,000+
home NAS systems I've seen.

At first I thought I'd toss the IDE drive, but I ended up just put the OS on it
with all my data and zones on the ZFS mirror...at least until ZFS root.

One of these days I'll get around to finishing the blog about it:
http://classiarius.com/W1100z%20Home%20ZFS%20Server/W1100z%20Home%20ZFS%20Server.html

HTH.

Wes W.