/* Warning : soapbox speech ahead */

> Something here is broken.

As a rule don't trust smpatch.  Don't trust the freeware pca either.

Either one may or may not include patches that you don't need or they
may list patches you do need or seem to need but once you apply them
you find your system buggered up in some way.

So, in my opinion, patches are like russian roulette.  So very carefully
apply what you know you *need* based on actually looking in the patch
readme files.  The recommended pile of patches are 99.9% safe and then
outside of that you have to pick and choose.

    Since I am on a soapbox here, I may as well be in for a pound as
    well as the penny.

I like to install what I call a "reference edition" of Solaris.  An update
release like Solaris 10 Update 3 or Solaris 9 Update 8.  These releases are
generally very well tested and you can install them and run them in a very
stable fashion long term.  Once you add a single patch to that system you
have wandered out of "this is shipped on media" to somewhere else.

--
Dennis Clarke