Andy,

my excuses, I didn't really appreciate your input in my earlier mail !

[i]I can't get to the console of a system to take it to single user, but you
might try
"svcadm enable -tr filesystem/local" or "zfs mount -a".
[/i]
Both work properly. Half of the job done; now I have the new home mounted, but
inactive. So I can rm -Rf * or similar there; in order to 'cp -a' the content
of the old home to the new home.
Still the other half is unresolved: How do I mount the old home which is in no
fstab (mnttab), on c0d1s1 ?
I can only think of rebooting to the old system, also single user, also 'mount
-a'; but then, how to store the files ? In the archives here I read that
GNU-tar does not handle all the features ! Which is why I'd like to mount both
home-s, old and new, at the same time; hoping that 'cp -a' will be complete.

[i]One caveat here is that I could not find a way to back up the base of the
zpool "u01" into the base of zpool "u02". i.e.

zfs snapshot [EMAIL PROTECTED]
zfs send [EMAIL PROTECTED] | zfs receive u02

Does not work because "u02" already exists - the receive must be done into a
brand new zfs. (It will create the zfs) I suppose you could get around this by
creating a new zfs and "mv * ../." from there.[/i]

Meaning, I'd have to add another hard disk as temporary storage ?
And here, my 'venerable' problem comes up again: How do I address that
additional storage; let's say /dev/dsk/c2t0d0p3 ? If I don't give a partition,
it might not work or overwrite my data; and currently I have no completely
empty, new drive, and there is no Solaris partition on my current USB drive,
neither free space to partition it.

Or, I could destroy the existing, new-to-be home slice (I don't need the data)
and write directly to there. How would I do that ?

Uwe

P.S.: Just as a reminder:
'old':
'/' c0d1s0 (ufs)
home c0d1s1 (zfs)
'new':
'/' c0d0s0 (ufs)
home c0d0s7 (zfs)
Question: How do I make a full copy of old home to new home; without either
being active, and none in the fstab / mnttab of the other system ?
And no, I don't want to *extend* the home to old and new. Just copy, and then
fdisk c0d1.