Can write-cache not be turned on manually as the user is sure that it is
only ZFS that is using the entire disk?

yes it can be turned on. But I don't know if ZFS would then know about it.

I'd still feel more comfortably with it being turned off unless ZFS itself
does it.

But maybe someone from the ZFS team can clarify this.

I think that it's true that ZFS would not know about the
write cache and thus you wouldn't get the benefit of it.

At some point, we'd like to implement code that recognizes
the zfs "owns" the entire disk even though the disk has multiple
slices, and turn on write caching anyway.  I haven't done
much looking into this though.

Some further comment on the proposed configuration (root
mirrored across all four disks, the rest of the each disk
going into a RAIDZ pool):
1. I suggest  you make your root pool big enough to hold several
   boot environments so that you can try out clone-and-upgrade
   tricks like this:

   http://blogs.sun.com/timf/entry/an_easy_way_to_manage

2.  So if root is  mirrored across all four disks, that  means that swapping
    will take place to all four disks.  I'm wondering if that's a problem,
    or if not a problem, maybe not optimal.

Lori