On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Ignatich wrote:

Bart Smaalders writes:

Abide by the terms of the CDDL and all is well.  Basically, all you
have to do is make your changes to CDDL'd files available.  What you
do w/ the code you built (load it into MVS, ship a storage appliance,
build a ZFS for Linux) is up to you.

The problem is not with CDDL, GPL is the problem. ATI and nVidia do provide
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To sum all of this I see a number of possible solutions for this situation:
[ ... ]

N. Fix the GPL, to enable codesharing with opensource code of other licenses.

(you said above you recognized the problem - so why not fix the problem ?)

[ ... ]
4. GPL ZFS reimplementation project is started. I prefer that way until 1), 2) or 3) happen.

Reminds me of "Project Harmony". One should try it. Qt got dual-licensed in the end. Whether that was due to Harmony "success" or just a business decision by Trolltech, who knows, but then there's precedence that seems to indicate such an approach may trigger the owner to license as GPL what used to be non-GPL code.

I know Sun opened most if not all ZFS related patents for OpenSolaris community. So I repeat questions I asked in my first mail:

1. Are those patents limited to CDDL/OpenSolaris code or can by used in GPL/Linux too?

2. If GPL code can't use those patented algorithms, will you please provide list of ZFS-related patents? RAID-Z and LZJB are most obvious technologies which may be patent protected.

These days, the situation with patents in computing is so bad that as a software writer, you essentially have no choice but "wait and see". To have even a fairly trivial software project proactively checked against potential patent violations would add prohibitive legal costs that no independent software writer could shell out.

And just because a piece of software is under GPL doesn't mean it cannot violate a patent, and/or that you'd be free to re-use that patented technology, embodied in this sourcecode, in a completely different project. Licensing the patent and licensing the code are two different things, and not all opensource licenses "cover your *ss" wrt. to patents.

(but this is really getting off-topic now)

FrankH.