Okay .. that is disk to disk or system to system. I can only assume
that you have large pipes of bandwidth ( 10 GE ) to move data around
with.

System to system. No, we have 100Mbit to the backup system. The systems being backed up are small though, they are primarily people's desktops. The backup servers (we have two, one onsite, the other offsite) have approx 3TB of space, and that backs up systems for 2 to 4 weeks.

This is where a netbackup solution is being used. A Netbackup machine
mounts the various ZFS filesystems via NFS and then dumps to tape.
Nightly.

I don't believe, although it has been a long time since I looked at netbackup, that it will store all the meta data. Does it cope with ACLs? If you are using NFSv4 then it might have a fighting chance... ok a quick search finds me:

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/faqs/zfs.xml#q9

This says that networker should cope with ACLs RealSoonNow (mid 2006). It also says something which I didn't know, namely that sun's tar and cpio will cope with ACLs... I guess they have a pax which works too.

I think that star ( Joerg Schilling ) has a good grasp on all the
metadata. Or do you mean the underlying structure that allows you to
restore to bare metal or bare disks ?

I meant everything from the different time stamps to ACLs. Something which was sufficient to do a restore which would be indistinguishable to the user or to any apps that I might wish to run.

Dennis

Julian
--
Julian King
Computer Officer, University of Cambridge, Unix Support