Thanks for the input.  So, I'm trying to meld the two replies and come up with
a direction for my case and maybe a "rule of thumb" that I can use in the
future (i.e., near future until new features come out in zfs) when I have
external storage arrays that have built in RAID.

At the moment, I'm hearing that using h/w raid under my zfs may be better for
some workloads and the h/w hot spare would be nice to have across multiple raid
groups, but the checksum capabilities in zfs are basically nullified with
single/multiple h/w lun's resulting in "reduced protection."  Therefore, it
sounds like I should be strongly leaning towards not using the hardware raid in
external disk arrays and use them like a JBOD.

When will Sun have "global hot spare" capability?