See:

http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock/entry/solaris_platform_integration_generic_disk

Prior to the above work, we only monitored disks on Thumper (x4500)
platforms.  With these changes we monitor basic SMART data for SATA
drives.  Monitoring for SCSI drives will be here soon.  The next step
will be tying this information into ZFS diagnosis to have a coherent
diagnosis strategy (currently ZFS vdevs and Solaris devices are
diagnosed as independent faults).

Also in codereview right now is FMA work to proactively diagnose faulty
drives based on I/O and checksum errors as seen by ZFS.

Hope that helps,

- Eric