On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 01:22:34PM -0700, Darren Dunham wrote:

> The configuration of any vdev that you create does not constrain you
> with any vdevs you want to add to the pool in the future.  You can start
> with any of your three choices above and then add any of the other three
> to the same pool.

'zpool add' will complain if the number of disks aren't equal, forcing you
to use -f to get it to work.  I wonder why this is?  Does this have to do
with the way zfs determines what goes where?  Does whatever system that is
used work better with similar vdevs?

> Now some additions may not make sense for what you want to do, but they
> are available.

I setup a test zfs sytem at work for some of the other non-solaris savvy
linux admins and it had a 6x36g raidz, a 6x73g raidz and a 143g mirror.
It's not something we pushed hard, so I don't know what the performance
impact would be, but it certainly did work.  :)

Which raises the question.....

What are the performance implications of pairing different "types" of
vdevs in a single pool?

-brian
--
"Perl can be fast and elegant as much as J2EE can be fast and elegant.
In the hands of a skilled artisan, it can and does happen; it's just