> The best practices guide on opensolaris does recommend replicated
> pools even if your backend storage is redundant. There are at least 2
> good reasons for that. ZFS needs a replica for the self healing
> feature to work. Also there is no fsck like tool for ZFS so it is a
> good idea to make sure self healing can work.

NB. fsck is not needed for ZFS because the on-disk format is always
consistent.  This is orthogonal to hardware faults.

I understand that the on disk state is always consistent but the self
healing feature can correct blocks that have bad checksums if zfs is
able to retrieve the block from a good replica. So even though the
filesystem is consistent, the data can be corrupt in non-redundant
pools. I am unsure of what happens with a non-redundant pool when a
block has a bad checksum and perhaps you could clear that up. Does
this cause a problem for the pool or is it limited to the file or
files affected by the bad block and otherwise the pool is online and
healthy.

Thanks,
Vic