Hi All,

We have a problem running a scientific application dCache on ZFS.
dCache is a java based software that allows to store huge datasets in pools.
One dCache pool consists of two directories pool/data and pool/control. The
real data goes into pool/data/
For each file in pool/data/ the pool/control/ directory contains two small
files, one is 23 bytes, another one is 989 bytes.
When dcache pool starts it consecutively reads all the files in control/
directory.
We run a pool on ZFS.

When we have approx 300,000 files in control/ the pool startup time is about
12-15 minutes.
When we have approx 350,000 files in control/ the pool startup time increases
to 70 minutes.
If we setup a new zfs pool with the smalles possible blocksize and move
control/ there the startup time decreases to 40 minutes (in case of 350,000
files).
But if we run the same pool on XFS the startup time is only 15 minutes.
Could you suggest to reconfigure ZFS to decrease the startup time.

When we have approx 400,000 files in control/ we were not able to start the
pool in 24 hours. UFS did not work either in this case, but XFS worked.

What could be the problem ?
Thank you,

Best Regards,
Sergey Chechelnitskiy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
WestGrid/SFU