I think I am having the same problem using a different application (Windchill).
 zfs is consuming hugh amounts of memory and system (T2000) is performing
poorly. Occasionally it will take a long time (several hours) to do a snapshot.
Normally a snapshot will take a second or two. The application will allow me to
break the one directory which has almost 600,000 files in to several
directories. I am in the process of doing this now. I never thought it was a
good idea to have that many files in one directory.