On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, James F. Hranicky wrote:

> > It just seems rather involved, and relatively inefficient to continuously
> > be mounting/unmounting stuff all the time. One of the applications to be
> > deployed against the filesystem will be web service, I can't really
> > envision a web server with tens of thousands of NFS mounts coming and
> > going, seems like a lot of overhead.
>
> Well, that's why ZFS wouldn't work for us :-( .

Although, I'm just saying that from my gut -- does anyone have any actual
experience with automounting thousands of file systems? Does it work? Is it
horribly inefficient? Poor performance? Resource intensive?

> Makes sense -- in that case you would be looking at multiple SMB servers,
> though.

Yes, with again the resultant problem of worrying about where a user's
files are when they want to access them :(.

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]