Paul B. Henson wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, James F. Hranicky wrote:
>
>>> It just seems rather involved, and relatively inefficient to continuously
>>> be mounting/unmounting stuff all the time. One of the applications to be
>>> deployed against the filesystem will be web service, I can't really
>>> envision a web server with tens of thousands of NFS mounts coming and
>>> going, seems like a lot of overhead.
>> Well, that's why ZFS wouldn't work for us :-( .
>
> Although, I'm just saying that from my gut -- does anyone have any actual
> experience with automounting thousands of file systems? Does it work? Is it
> horribly inefficient? Poor performance? Resource intensive?

Yes.  Sun currently has over 45,000 users with automounted home directories.
I do not know how many servers are involved, though, in part because home
directories are highly available services and thus their configuration is
abstracted away from the clients.  Suffice to say, there is more than one
server.  Measuring mount performance would vary based on where in the world
you were, so it probably isn't worth the effort.
  -- richard