On Sat, 22 Sep 2007, Jonathan Loran wrote:

> My gut tells me that you won't have much trouble mounting 50K file
> systems with ZFS.  But who knows until you try.  My questions for you is
> can you lab this out?

Yeah, after this research phase has been completed, we're going to have to
go into a prototyping phase. I should be able to get funding for a half
dozen or so x4100 systems to play with. We standardized on those systems
for our Linux deployment.

> test with your name service in the loop.  You may need netgroups to
> delineate permissions for your shares, and to define your automounter
> maps.

We're planning to use NFSv4 with Kerberos authentication, so shouldn't need
netgroups. Tentatively I think I'd put automounter maps in LDAP, although
doing so for both Solaris and Linux at the same time based on a little
quick research seems possibly problematic.

> Also, as you may know, Linux doesn't play well with hundreds of
> concurrent mount operations.  If you use Linux NFS clients in your
> environment, be sure to lab that out as well.

I didn't know that -- we're currently using RHEL 4 and Gentoo distributions
for a number of services. I've done some initial testing of NFSv4, but
never tried lots of simultaneous mounts...

> At any rate, you may indeed be an outlier with so many file systems and
> NFS mounts, but I imagine many of us are waiting on the edge of our seats
> to see if you can make it all work.  Speaking for my self, I would love
> to know how ZFS, NFS and LDAP scale up to such a huge system.

I don't necessarily mind being a pioneer, but not on this particular
project -- it has a rather high visibility and it would not be good for it
to blow chunks after deployment when use starts scaling up 8-/.

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]