This question triggered some silly questions in my mind:

Lots of folks are determined that the whole COW to different locations
are a Bad Thing(tm), and in some cases, I guess it might actually be...

What if ZFS had a pool / filesystem property that caused zfs to do a
journaled, but non-COW update so the data's relative location for
databases is always the same?

Or - What if it did a double update: One to a staged area, and another
immediately after that to the 'old' data blocks. Still always have
on-disk consistency etc, at a cost of double the I/O's...

Of course, both of these would require non-sparse file creation for the
DB etc, but would it be plausible?

For very read intensive and position sensitive applications, I guess
this sort of capability might make a difference?

Just some stabs in the dark...

Cheers!

Nathan.