> We are all anxiously awaiting data...
>   -- richard

Would it be worthwhile to build a test case:

- Build a postgresql database and import 1 000 000 (or more) lines of data.
- Run a single and multiple large table scan queries ... and watch the system

then,

- Update a column of each row in the database, run the same queries
and watch the system

Continue updating more colums (to get more "defrag") until you notice something.

I personally believe that since most people will have hardware LUN's
(with underlying RAID) and cache, it will be difficult to notice
anything. Given that those hardware LUN's might be busy with their own
wizardry ;) You will also have to minimize the effect of the database
cache ...

It will be a tough assignment ... maybe someone has already done this?

Thinking about this (very abstract) ... does it really matter?

[8KB-a][8KB-b][8KB-c]

So what it 8KB-b gets updated and moved somewhere else? If the DB gets
a request to read 8KB-a, it needs to do an I/O (eliminate all
caching). If it gets a request to read 8KB-b, it needs to do an I/O.

Does it matter that b is somewhere else ... it still needs to go get
it ... only in a very abstract world with read-ahead (both hardware or
db) would 8KB-b be in cache after 8KB-a was read.

Hmmm... the only way is to get some data :) *hehe*