Nathan Kroenert wrote:
> This question triggered some silly questions in my mind:
>
> Lots of folks are determined that the whole COW to different locations
> are a Bad Thing(tm), and in some cases, I guess it might actually be...

There is a lot of speculation about this, but no real data.
I've done some experiments on long seeks and didn't see much of a
performance difference, but I wasn't using a database workload.

Note that the many caches and optimizations in the path between the
database and physical medium will make this very difficult to characterize
for a general case.  Needless to say, you'll get better performance on a
device which can handle multiple outstanding I/Os -- avoid PATA disks.

> What if ZFS had a pool / filesystem property that caused zfs to do a
> journaled, but non-COW update so the data's relative location for
> databases is always the same?
>
> Or - What if it did a double update: One to a staged area, and another
> immediately after that to the 'old' data blocks. Still always have
> on-disk consistency etc, at a cost of double the I/O's...

This is a non-starter.  Two I/Os is worse than one.

> Of course, both of these would require non-sparse file creation for the
> DB etc, but would it be plausible?
>
> For very read intensive and position sensitive applications, I guess
> this sort of capability might make a difference?

We are all anxiously awaiting data...
  -- richard