On 11/29/07, Toby Thain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Xserve + Xserve RAID... ZFS is already in OS X 10.5.
>
> As easy to set up and administer as any OS X system; a problem free
> and FAST network server to Macs or PCs.

        That is a great theory ... we have a number of Xserves with
Xraids. No ZFS on Mac OS X (yet), so we are running HFS+. The problem
is that HFS+ is such a pig that some backups never functional complete
(one server has about 4-5 TB and millions of files, not the large
media files that HFS+ seems to be optimized for). About 18 months ago
we had a scheduled server room power outage. We brought everything
down cleanly. On bringing it back up the volume from the Xraid was
corrupt. Apple's only answer (after much analysis) was to reload from
backup. Thankfully this was not the server with the millions of files,
but one that we did have good backups of. We have been terrified every
time we have had to restart the server with the millions of files.

        Not technology that I would want to trust my photos to, at
least until there are better recovery tools out there. But then again,
I have a similar issue with ZFS. So far there haven't been enough odd
failures to cause real recovery tools to be written. Eventually there
will be tools to reconstruct as much of the metadata as possible after
a disaster (there always are for true Enterprise systems), but not
yet.

--
Paul Kraus
Albacon 2008 Facilities