Hi Paul,

yes, ZFS is platform agnostic and I know it works in SANs.

For the USB stick case, you may have run into labeling issues. Maybe
Solaris SPARC did not recognize the x64 type label on the disk (which
is strange, because it should...).

Did you try making sure that ZFS creates an EFI label on the disk?
You can check this by running zpool status and then the devices should
look like c6t0d0 without the s0 part.

If you want to force this, you can create an EFI label on the USB disk
from hand by saying fdisk -E /dev/rdsk/cxtxdx.

Hope this helps,
    Constantin

Paul Gress wrote:
> OK, I've been putting off this question for a while now, but it eating
> at me, so  I can't hold off any more.  I have a nice 8 gig memory stick
> I've formated with the ZFS file system.  Works great on all my Solaris
> PC's, but refuses to work on my Sparc processor.  So I've formated it on
> my Sparc machine (Blade 2500), works great there now, but not on my
> PC's.  Re-Formatted it on my PC, doesn't work on Sparc, and so on and so on.
>
> I thought it was a file system to go back and forth both architectures.
> So when will this compatibility be here, or if it's possible now, what
> is the secret?
>
> Paul

Constantin Gonzalez                            Sun Microsystems GmbH, Germany
Platform Technology Group, Global Systems Engineering      http://www.sun.de/
Tel.: +49 89/4 60 08-25 91                   http://blogs.sun.com/constantin/

Sitz d. Ges.: Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028