We have a Sun Fire X4500 (Thumper) with 48 750GB SATA drives being used as an
NFS server.  My original plan was to reinstall Linux on it but after getting
it and playing around with zfs I decided to give Solaris a try.

I have created over 30 zfs filesystems so far and exported them via NFS and
this has been working fine.  Well, almost.  A couple of weeks ago I discovered
clients could no longer mount and I logged into the Thumper and found mountd
was not running.  I could not figure out how to properly get it restarted
(nothing I did with svcadm seeemed to work) so I just rebooted and then
everything was fine again.  Nothing in the logs seemed to give any indication
of what the problem was (the logs are awful sparse on Solaris).

Anyway, today I log into to make a new zfs filesystem and the zfs create
command has just hung and is unkillable even via kill -9.  I ran:

zfs create -o quota=131G -o reserv=131G -o recsize=8K zpool1/itgroup_001

and this is still running now.  truss on the process shows nothing.  I
don't know how to debug it beyond that.  I thought I would ask for any
info from this list before I just reboot.

# uname -a
SunOS raidsrv03 5.10 Generic_127112-05 i86pc i386 i86pc

And 'hd -c' shows all the disks as operating normally.  THere is nothing
relevant I can find in dmesg or /var/adm/messages or /var/log/syslog.

Paul Raines                email: raines at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
MGH/MIT/HMS Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
149 (2301) 13th Street     Charlestown, MA 02129            USA