> Ive heard that WinFS is a filesystem that has some kind of database? I didnt
> understand the advantages because I havent read about it, but it is the best
> thing since sliced bread according to MS.
>
> My question is, because WinFS database is running on top of NTFS, could a
> similar thing be done for ZFS? Implement a database running on top of ZFS,
> that has similar functionality as WinFS?
>
> (I never understood the advantages of having a database on top of NTFS, maybe
> it would be pointless for ZFS? Can someone knowledgeable give some input to
> my question?)

You should know that WinFS is simply a modified MS SQL Server with a
passthrough to NTFS for filestream objects. The public releases of WinFS
weren't doing anything special. The data store were regular MDB files
hidden in x:\System Volume Information and filestream blobs files with
GUIDs as name also hidden in that folder.

The advantage was supposed to be an unified data store, where data would
be stored in structured formats instead of binary blobs, unless it
wasn't possible otherwise (e.g. JPEG image data, where as EXIF data
would have been extracted and stored in the structured parts). Like
this, every application supporting WinFS would be able to share their
data between each other.

-mg