On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Orvar Korvar wrote:

> My question is, because WinFS database is running on top of NTFS,
> could a similar thing be done for ZFS? Implement a database running
> on top of ZFS, that has similar functionality as WinFS?

Object-oriented content management could be run on any sort of
underlying file system.  It is just a layer on top.

> (I never understood the advantages of having a database on top of
> NTFS, maybe it would be pointless for ZFS? Can someone knowledgeable
> give some input to my question?)

ZFS just provides storage.  It seems that the problem with
object-oriented content management is that a user interface needs to
be provided, which is not standardized in any way.  This user
interface needs to be used to put content into the system, to find
content in the system, and to use content from the system.  There also
needs to be a way to back everything up.  If the content management
knows about the internal structure of the objects, then it might
provide a way to access a document so that all of the objects (e.g.
figures) used by that document are visible and may be updated.

There are likely some mainframe environments which do this sort of
thing, but mainframes are essentially closed systems so the mainframe
vendor has more control.

Bob