It's more than a handy feature. You either have to write down all
the ZFS configuration you do, or keep a separate log of it in order
to restore a backed up ZFS system to a bare metal replacement today.

With this RFE, you could replay the configuration, restore from tape
and be back up pretty quickly with the same setup you had.

-- mark

Cyril Plisko wrote:
On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Torrey McMahon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
eric kustarz wrote:
 > So even with the above, if you add a vdev, slog, or l2arc later on,
 > that can be lost via the history being a ring buffer.  There's a RFE
 > for essentially taking your current 'zpool status' output and
 > outputting a config (one that could be used to create a brand new pool):
 > 6276640 zpool config

 I'm surprised there haven't been more hands raised for this one. It
 would be very handy for a change management process, setting up DR
 sites, testing, etc.

I think that is because of two reasons:

1. It is very simple to [re-]create zpool even today, without any
additional instrumentation. It is not a rocket science.
2. Such "zpool config" tool may not be very usable for DR environment.
 Why ? Chances are that you have FC storage with multipathing (since
you care at all about redundency). If so the device names in DR site
will be different (based on GUID). So you'll have to craft you "zpool
create" command manually anyway. May be using the "zpool config" as a
template, but you have that already with today's zpool history and
zpool status. (Also see #1)

It can be really useful for testing purposes, where you are recreating
same configuration numerous time. However, in this case you've
probably scripted it already long time ago.

Like you said - that is handy feature, but, IMHO, not more than that.