On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Robert Milkowski wrote:

> As I wrote before - it's not only about RAID config - what if you have
> hundreds of file systems, with some share{nfs|iscsi|cifs) enabled with
> specific parameters, then specific file system options, etc.

Some zfs-related "configuration" is done using non-ZFS commands.  For
example, a filesystem devoted to a user is typically chowned to that
user & user's group.  I assume that owner, group, and any ACLs
associated with a filesystem would be preserved so that they are part
of the pool re-creation commands?

When creating ZFS filesystems, the step of creating the pool is
separate from the steps of creating the filesystems.  Obviously these
steps need to either be separate, or separable, so that a similar
filesystem layout can be created with different hardware.

Bob