I am confused by the numerical value of compressratio. I copied a
compressed ZFS filesystem that is 38.5G in size (zfs list USED and
REFER value) and reports a compressratio value of "2.52x" to an
uncompressed ZFS filesystem and it expanded to 198G. So why is the
compressratio 2.52 rather than 198/38.5 = 5.14?

As an artificial test, I created a filesystem with compression enabled
and ran "mkfile 1g" and the reported compressratio for that filesystem
is 1.00x even though this 1GB file only uses only 1kB.

Note, this was done with ZFS version 4 on S10U4.

I would appreciate any help in understanding what compressratio means.

Thanks.

--
Stuart Anderson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/~anderson