You can fill up an ext3 filesystem with the following command:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=delme.dat
You can't really fill up a ZFS filesystme that way.  I guess you could,
but I've never had the patience -- when several GB worth of zeroes takes
1kb worth of data, then it would take a very long time.

AFAIK, ext3 supports sparse files just like it should -- but it doesn't
dynamically figure out what to write based on the contents of the file.

-Luke