Thanks Max, and the fact that rsync stresses the system less would help explain
why rsync works, and cp hangs. The directory was around 11GB in size.

If Sun engineers are interested in this problem then I'm happy to run whatever
commands they give me -- after all, I have a pure goldmine here for them to
debug ;-) And it *is* running on a ZFS filesystem. Opportunities like this
don't come along every day :) Tempted? :)

Well, if I can't tempt Sun, then for anyone who has the same disks, I would be
interested to see what happens on your machine:
Model Number: WD7500AAKS-00RBA0
Firmware revision: 4G30

I use three of these disks in a RAIDZ1 vdev within the pool.