Tim Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey Joerg,
>
> On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 13:47 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > > How about flar ?
> > > http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-5668/flash-24?a=view
> > > [ I'm actually not sure if it's supported for zfs root though ]
> >
> > Isn't flar based on the outdated cpio?
>
> cpio was updated to support ZFS ACLs as part of "PSARC 2002/240 ZFS", if
> that's what you're referring to ?

cpio does not support files > 8 GB (POSIX archive variant) or files > 4 GB
(SVr4 archive variant) and cpio does not support sparse files.
cpio is not extensible without introducing a new incompatible cpio like
archive format. This is what has been decided ~ 10 years ago on the POSIX
mailing list and this is why the infinitely extensible tar format was created
under the name "pax".

P.S.: I am talking about the cpio program creating "cpio" archives and this is
what I believe happens in flar.

Is this what you are referring to?

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)