Mike Gerdts wrote:

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Lori Alt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The Caiman team can make their own decision here, but we
decided to be more hard-nosed about disk space requirements in the
legacy install.  If the pool is too small to accommodate the recommended
swap and dump zvols, then maybe this system isn't a good candidate for
a zfs root pool.  Basically, we decided that since you almost
can't buy disks smaller than 60 GB these days, it's not worth much
effort to facilitate the setup of zfs root pools on disks that are smaller
than that.  If you really need to do so, Jumpstart can be used to
set the dump and swap sizes to whatever you like, at the time
of initial install.

This is extremely bad for virtualized environments.  If I have a
laptop with 150 GB disk, a dual core processor, and 4 GB of RAM I
would expect that I should have plenty of room to install 10+ virtual
machines, and be able to run up to 2 - 4 of them at a time.  Requiring
60 GB would mean that I could only install 2 virtual machines - which
is on par with what I was doing with my previous laptop that had a 30
GB disk.

The same argument can be made for VMware, LDoms, Xen, etc., but those
are much more likely to use jumpstart for installations than
laptop-based VM's.

This is a good point.  Perhaps at some point we should add back the
capability of overriding the default swap/dump sizes in the interactive
install.  However, swap can't always be reduced by much.  The default swap
sizes we chose were not totally arbitrary. But of course, environments differ
widely.  In some environments, it's probably reasonable to run with little
or no swap.
Right now, you have two options to override the default and dump sizes:
use Jumpstart to do the install, or modify the sizes of the swap and dump
zvols after the install completes (using the "zfs set" command to modify the
volsize)

The Caiman team may wish to offer more configurability in this
regard in their install procedure.

Lori