jan damborsky wrote:
> Hi Lori,
>

> Lori Alt wrote:
>
>> The Caiman team can make their own decision here, but we
>> decided to be more hard-nosed about disk space requirements in the
>> legacy install.  If the pool is too small to accommodate the recommended
>> swap and dump zvols, then maybe this system isn't a good candidate for
>> a zfs root pool.  Basically, we decided that since you almost
>> can't buy disks smaller than 60 GB these days, it's not worth much
>> effort to facilitate the setup of zfs root pools on disks that are
>> smaller
>> than that.  If you really need to do so, Jumpstart can be used to
>> set the dump and swap sizes to whatever you like, at the time
>> of initial install.
>
> I would agree with you as far as internal disks are concerned.
> However, since Slim installer also allows to install for example
> on USB sticks, which are smaller, the minimum required space might
> be the issue.

With ZFS, the actual space used is difficult to predict, so there
should be some leeway allowed.  For USB sticks, I'm generally
using compression and copies=2, both of which radically change
the actual space used.  It is unlikely that we can install 5 lbs of
flour in a 1 lb bag, but may not be impossible.

> Do we need to create two separate volumes for swap and dump or
> might be one ZFS volume enough which then would be shared by both
> swap and dump ?

IMHO, you can make dump optional, with no dump being default.
Before Sommerfeld pounces on me (again :-), let me defend myself:
the vast majority of people will never get a core dump and if
they did, they wouldn't know what to do with it.  We will just end
up wasting a bunch of space.  As Solaris becomes more popular, this
problem becomes bigger.  OTOH, people who actually care about
core dumps can enable them quite easily. WWMSD?
 -- richard