On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Carson Gaspar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Moore, Joe wrote:
>> Because the zfs dataset mountpoint may not be the same as the zfs pool
>> name.  This makes things a bit complicated for the initial request.
>
> The leading slash will be a problem with the current code. I forgot
> about that... make that ${PWD#/} (or change the code to ignore the
> leading slash...). That is, admittedly, more typing than a single
> character option, but not much.

Most of the places where I use zfs the ${PWD#/} trick would not work.
I have a pool of storage that has an arbitrary name then I use it in
various places to match up with names I have traditionally used.  That
is, I have a pool named local that has:

local/zones on /zones
local/ws on /ws
local/home on /export/home

I think that if you take a look at a machine that uses zfsroot you
will find very few, if any, datasets used directly at
/rpool/<whatever>.

> And yes, if your mount name and pool names don't match, extra code would
> be required to determine the parent pool/fs of the path passed. But no
> more code than magic CWD goo... I really don't like special case options
> whose sole purpose is to shorten command line length.

It's not just shortening command line length.  If a user has
permissions to do things in his/her datasets, there should be no need
for that user to know about the overall structure of the zpool.  This
is user-visible complexity that will turn into a long-term management
problem as sysadmins split or merge pools, change pool naming schemes,
reorganize dataset hierarchies, etc.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/