Hi Bob,
thanks for the quick response. Comments inline below

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, James C. McPherson wrote:
>>> MPXIO is quite ugly and rough around the edges (at least compared
>>> with ZFS) but it works.
>>
>> Just curious - what do you see as the ugliness in MPxIO? I don't
>> have an agenda to push, I'd just like to get feedback from you
>> on what you see as opportunities for improvement.
>
> The most obvious thing is the ungainly long device names and the odd
> requirement to update /etc/vfstab.

I'm fairly sure that the long device names aspect won't change.

I don't understand what you mean by "Odd requirement to update /etc/vfstab"
- when we turn on mpxio the device paths change, so any fs that's not
ZFS will require repointing, as it were. One of the issues I've come
up against with stmsboot and ZFSroot is that stmsboot has no clue
whatsoever on how to deal with ZFS, so that's something I'm building
in to the changes I'm making.

 > The other thing I noticed is that
> while 'mpathadm' works as documented, it lacks in user friendlyness.
[snip]

I totally agree. Some time ago I logged a bug against mpathadm's
command line behaviour but got no satisfactory response from the
group which maintains it.

> When I first used 'stmsboot -e' (as the StorageTek 2540 docs recommend),
> it caused my system not to boot since it uses SAS disks and there were
> apparently problems with local SAS disks at that time (and it sounds
> like there still is).  I learned the hard way to only request multipath
> for what actually needs it.

I'm the bloke on the hook for the S10 MPxIO/mpt backport since I'm the
one who integrated the changes into the relevant gate. Could you give
me more detail please on what problems you saw with the ST2540?

While you're at it, if you've got any suggestions that you'd like
me to consider with my reimplementation of stsmboot then please let
me know.

Cheers,
James
--
Senior Kernel Software Engineer, Solaris
Sun Microsystems