Lori Alt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> use of swap/dump zvols?  If your existing swap/dump slice
> is contiguous with your root pool, you can grow the root
> pool into that space (using format to merge the slices.
> A reboot or re-import of the pool will cause it to grow into
> the newly-available space).

That had been my plan, and that's how I laid out my slices for zpools and
UFS BEs before ZFS boot came along.  Unfortunately, at least once this
resizing exercise went wrong, fatally, it seems, but so far nobody cared to
comment:

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2008-July/049180.html

And on SPARC, the hopefully safe method from a failsafe environment is
hampered by

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/install-discuss/2008-July/006754.html

I think at least the second issue needs to be resolved before ZFS root is
appropriate for general use.

        Rainer