I've discovered this as well - b81 to b93 (latest I've tried). I
switched from my on-board SATA controller to AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards because
the MCP55 controller caused random disk hangs. Now the SAT2-MV8 works as
long as the drives are working correctly, but the system can't handle a
drive failure or disconnect. :(

I don't think there's a bug filed for it. That would probably be the
first step to getting this resolved (might also post to storage-discuss).

--
Dave