Richard Elling wrote:
> There are known issues with the Marvell drivers in X4500s.  You will
> want to pay attention to the release notes, SRDBs, InfoDocs, and SunAlerts
> for the platform.
> http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/validateUser.do?target=Systems/SunFireX4500/SunFireX4500
>
> You will want to especially pay attention to SunAlert 201289
> http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-66-201289-1
>
> If you run into these or other problems which are not already described
> in the above documents, please log a service call which will get you
> into the folks who track the platform problems specifically and know
> about patches in the pipeline.
>  -- richard

Although I am not in the SATA group any longer, I have in the past
tested hot plugging and failures
of SATA disks with x4500s, Marvell plug in cards and SuperMicro plug in
cards.  It has worked
in the past on all of these platforms.  Having said that there are
things that you might be hitting
or might try.

1) The default behavior when a disk is removed and then re-inserted is
to leave the disk unconfigured.
    The operator must issue a cfgadm -c configure sata<x>/<y> to bring
the newly plugged in disk on-line.
    There was some work being done to make this automatic, but I am not
currently aware of the state of
    that work.

2) There were bugs related to disk drive errors that have been addressed
(several months ago).  If you have old
     code you could be hitting one or more of those issues.

3) I think there was a change in the sata generic module with respect to
when it declares a failed disk as "off-line".
    You might want to check if you are hitting a problem with that.

4) There are a significant number of bugs in ZFS that can cause hangs.
Most have been addressed with recent patches.
    Make sure you have all the patches.

If you use the raw disk (i.e. no ZFS involvement) doing something like
dd bs=128k if=/dev/rdsk/c<x>t<y>d0p0 of=/dev/null
and then try pulling out the disk.  The dd should return with an I/O
error virtually immediately.  If it doesn't then
ZFS is probably not the issue.  You can also issue the command "cfgadm"
and see what it lists as the state(s) of the
various disks.

Hope that helps,
Lida Horn