On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 08:38:21PM -0700, Neal Pollack wrote:

> As of build 94, it does not automatically bring the disk online.
> I replaced a failed disk on an x4500 today running Nevada build 94, and
> still
> had to manually issue
>
> # cfgadm -c configure sata1/3
> # zpool replace tank cxt2d0
>
> then wait 7 hours for resilver.
> But the above is correct and expected.  They simply have not automated
> that yet.  Apparently.

You can set 'sata:sata_auto_online=1' in /etc/system to enable this
behavior.  It should be the default, as it is with other drivers (like
mpt), but there has been resistance from the SATA team in the past.
Anyone wanting to do the PSARC legwork could probably get this changed
in nevada.

You can also set 'autoreplace=on' for the ZFS pool, and the replace will
happen automatically upon insertion if you are using whole disks and a
driver with static device paths (such as sata).

- Eric

--
Eric Schrock, Fishworks                        http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock