Moore, Joe wrote:
> Richard Elling wrote:
>
>> There are known issues with the Marvell drivers in X4500s.  You will
>> want to pay attention to the release notes, SRDBs, InfoDocs,
>> and SunAlerts
>> for the platform.
>> http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/validateUser.do?target=Sy
>> stems/SunFireX4500/SunFireX4500
>>
>> You will want to especially pay attention to SunAlert 201289
>> http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-66-201289-1
>>
>> If you run into these or other problems which are not already
>> described
>> in the above documents, please log a service call which will get you
>> into the folks who track the platform problems specifically and know
>> about patches in the pipeline.
>>

> Richard, while these are very useful links about the X4500 in general,
> there is really nothing here about what is required in the OpenSolaris
> world.
>
> The original poster is concerned with an X4500 running Nevada (build70).
> I have two X4500s running Nevada (also build70).  At what Nevada build
> were the (Sun) bugids referenced in SunAlert 201289 fixed?

You will have to look at each bug report and see where the fix
was integrated.
    http://bugs.opensolaris.org
Sometimes you can look at the change log reports, too, but I find
the bug database searches to be faster.  For example see the b94
change log:
    http://dlc.sun.com/osol/on/downloads/b94/on-changelog-b94.html

This is a tedious task, but is the only way to really track such
details.  It is generally safe to assume that many changes are made
in the latest SXCE or OpenSolaris builds before they arrive in
previous releases as patches.

Since patches are not created for SXCE/OpenSolaris, or at least
the patch process you know and love from S10- is undergoing
dramatic changes with IPS, the method instead will be to upgrade
to a later release.  b70 is approximately 2*(current build (95) - 70)
weeks old.

Sidebar: significant RAS improvements arrived in b72, so I would
suggest scheduling an upgrade anyway.

> Personally, I've been quite reluctant to open a service call with Sun
> when I'm running an "unsupported" operating system, even on supported
> hardware.  I've had too many experiences with first-level support (and
> second-level support -- not necessarily Sun's) whose first suggestion is
> to install (the latest) supported OS, before even investigating the
> hardware aspects, or in fact even hearing what the problem is in the
> first place.

Support contracts are available for OpenSolaris.
http://www.sun.com/service/opensolaris/index.jsp

But even if you don't want to go that route, please log bugs you find at
http://bugs.opensolaris.org
In the best case, the bug will be closed as a duplicate.
 -- richard