On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 07:42, Borys Saulyak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've got, lets say, 10 disks in the storage. They are currently in RAID5
> configuration and given to my box as one LUN. You suggest to create 10 LUNs
> instead, and give them to ZFS, where they will be part of one raidz, right?
> So what sort of protection will I gain by that? What kind of failure will be
> eliminated? Sorry, but I cannot catch it...
Suppose that ZFS detects an error in the first case.  It can't tell
the storage array "something's wrong, please fix it" (since the
storage array doesn't provide for this with checksums and intelligent
recovery), so all it can do is tell the user "this file is corrupt,
recover it from backups".

In the second case, ZFS can use the parity or mirrored data to
reconstruct plausible blocks, and then see if they match the checksum.
 Once it finds one that matches (which will happen as long as
sufficient parity remains), it can write the corrected data back to
the disk that had junk on it, and report to the user "there were
problems over here, but I fixed them".

Will