To further clarify Will's point...

Your current setup provides excellent hardware protection, but absolutely no
data protection.
ZFS provides excellent data protection when it has multiple copies of the
data blocks (>1 hardware devices).

Combine the two, provide >1 hardware devices to ZFS, and you have a really
nice solution. If you can spare the space, setup your arrays and things to
provide exactly 2 identical LUNs to your ZFS box and create your zpool with
those in a mirror. The best of all worlds.

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Will Murnane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 07:42, Borys Saulyak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > I've got, lets say, 10 disks in the storage. They are currently in RAID5
> configuration and given to my box as one LUN. You suggest to create 10 LUNs
> instead, and give them to ZFS, where they will be part of one raidz, right?
> > So what sort of protection will I gain by that? What kind of failure will
> be eliminated? Sorry, but I cannot catch it...
> Suppose that ZFS detects an error in the first case.  It can't tell
> the storage array "something's wrong, please fix it" (since the
> storage array doesn't provide for this with checksums and intelligent
> recovery), so all it can do is tell the user "this file is corrupt,
> recover it from backups".
>
> In the second case, ZFS can use the parity or mirrored data to
> reconstruct plausible blocks, and then see if they match the checksum.
>  Once it finds one that matches (which will happen as long as
> sufficient parity remains), it can write the corrected data back to
> the disk that had junk on it, and report to the user "there were
> problems over here, but I fixed them".
>
> Will

chris -at- microcozm -dot- net
=== Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes