W. Wayne Liauh wrote:

> If you are running B95, that "may" be the problem.  I
> have no problem booting B93 (& previous builds) from
> a USB stick, but B95, which has a newer version of
> ZFS, does not allow me to boot from it (& the USB
> stick was of course recognized during installation of
> B95, just won't boot).

I suspect the problem with ZFS boot from USB sticks is,
that the kernel does not create "devid" properties for the
USB stick, and apparently those devids are now required for
zfs booting.

The kernel (sd driver) does not create "devid" properties for USB flash
memory sticks, because most (all ?) of them nowadays report
that they use removable media - which is a lie, I'm not able to change the
media / flash roms in such a device.

If you have a windows utility distributed with your flash memory
stick that allows configuration of the removable media attribute:
try to set it to "fixed media". For such an usb storage  device with
fixed media, the sd(7d) driver should create "devid" properties, and
zfs booting works just fine for such an usb flash memory stick.

Btw. you can view the "removable media" attribute with the
command "cdrecord -scanbus".  I'm getting this, for two different
usb flash memory sticks (note: it reports "Removable Disk", not
just "Disk"):

scsibus7:
        7,0,0   700) 'Samsung ' 'Mighty Drive    ' 'PMAP' Removable Disk

scsibus10:
        10,0,0  1000) 'OCZ     ' 'ATV             ' '1100' Removable Disk