> What Widows utility you are talking about?  I have
> used the Sandisk utility program to remove the U3
> Launchpad (which creates a permanent hsfs partition
> in the flash disk), but it does not help the problem.

That's the problem, most usb sticks don't require any
special software and just work with the OS' usb mass
storage support.

IIRC, I once had a 128MB Prolific USB stick (sold as
Kingmax) which could be partitioned into two devices,
one of them could be password protected and it was
possible to configure on of the mass storage devices
as "HDD" (= fixed media) or "FDD" (=floppy / removable
media).  There was an extra windows utility to use/configure
these extra features.