Richard Elling wrote:

>> Yes, you're right. But sadly, in the mentioned scenario of having
>> replaced an entire drive, the entire disk is rewritten by ZFS.
>
> No, this is not true.  ZFS only resilvers data.

Okay, I see we have a communication problem here. Probably my fault, I
should have written "the entire data and metadata".
I made the assumption that a 1 TB drive in a X4500 may have up to 1 TB
of data on it. Simply because nobody buys the 1 TB X4500 just to use 10%
of the disk space, he would have bought the 250 GB, 500 GB or 750 GB
model then.
In any case and any disk size scenario, that's something you don't want
to have on your network if there's a chance to avoid this.

--

Ralf Ramge
Senior Solaris Administrator, SCNA, SCSA

Tel. +49-721-91374-3963
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://web.de/

1&1 Internet AG
Brauerstraße 48
76135 Karlsruhe

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas
Gottschlich, Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Oliver Mauss,
Achim Weiss