On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 12:07 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:43:51AM +0200, Nils Goroll wrote:

> Storage Checkpoints in Veritas software has this feature (removing
> the oldest checkpoint in case of 100% filesystem usage) by default.
> Why not add such option to ZFS ?

 - because we shouldn't assume a user's intentions - some would consider
automatic destruction of data (even historical data) a p1 bug.

nv_100 will have the ZFS Automatic Snapshot service in it, disabled by
default[1]

The GUI side of this, ("Time Slider") has exactly this functionality -
it'll start deleting snapshots that it has taken when the filesystem
reaches a certain threshold.

More details at:
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/arc/caselog/2008/571/mail

        cheers,
                        tim

[1] actually while I'm here, quick poll - the schedules for retaining
snapshots currently are:

- Frequent snapshots, taken every 15 minutes, keeping the 4 most recent
- Hourly snapshots taken once every hour, keeping 24
- Daily snapshots taken once every 24 hours, keeping 7
- Weekly snapshots taken once every 7 days, keeping 4
- Monthly snapshots taken on the first day of every month, keeping 12

I'm arguing that we should be keeping 31 daily snapshots, and not just
7. There's some overlap with the weekly ones yes, but the extra
granularity over the past month could be useful, anyone else have an
opinion?