On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Ahmed Kamal wrote:

> I guess I am mostly interested in MTDL for a zfs system on whitebox hardware
> (like pogo), vs dataonTap on netapp hardware. Any numbers ?

Barring kernel bugs or memory errors, Richard Elling's blog entry
seems to be the best place use as a guide:

http://blogs.sun.com/relling/entry/raid_recommendations_space_vs_mttdl

It is pretty easy to build a ZFS pool with data loss probabilities (on
paper) which are about as low as you winning the state jumbo lottery
jackpot based on a ticket you found on the ground.  However, if you
want to compete with an EMC system, then you will want to purchase
hardware of similar grade.  If you purchase a cheapo system from Dell
without ECC memory then the actual data reliability will suffer.

ZFS protects you against corruption in the data storage path.  It does
not protect you against main memory errors or random memory overwrites
due to a horrific kernel bug.  ZFS also does not protect against data
loss due to user error, which remains the primary factor in data loss.

Bob