On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> To get the same storage between capacity with SAS drives and SATA drives,
> you'd probably have to put the SAS drives in a RAID-5/6/Z configuration to
> be more space efficient. However by doing this you'd be losing spindles,
> and therefore IOPS. With SATA drives, since you can buy more for the same
> budget, you could put them in a RAID-10 configuration. While the
> individual disk many be slower, you'd have more spindles in the zpool, so
> that should help with the IOPS.

I will agree with that except to point out that there are many
applications which require performance but not a huge amount of
storage.  For many critical applications, even 10s of gigabytes is a
lot of storage.  Based on this, I would say that most applications
where SAS is desireable are the ones which desire the most reliability
and performance whereas the applications where SATA is desireable are
the ones which place a priority on bulk storage capacity.

If you are concerned about total storage capacity and you are also
specifying SAS for performance/reliability for critical data then it
is likely that there is something wrong with your plan for storage and
how the data is distributed.

There is a reason why when you go to the store you see tack hammers,
construction hammers, and sledge hammers.

Bob