Thanks for all the opinions everyone, my current impression is:
- I do need as much RAM as I can afford (16GB look good enough for me)
- SAS disks offers better iops & better MTBF than SATA. But Sata offers
enough performance for me (to saturate a gig link), and its MTBF is around
100 years, which is I guess good enough for me too. If I wrap 5 or 6 SATA
disks in a raidz2 that should give me "enough" protection and performance.
It seems I will go with sata then for now. I hope for all practical purposes
the raidz2 array of say 6 sata drives are "very well protected" for say the
next 10 years! (If not please tell me)
- This will mainly be used for NFS sharing. Everyone is saying it will have
"bad" performance. My question is, how "bad" is bad ? Is it worse than a
plain Linux server sharing NFS over 4 sata disks, using a crappy 3ware raid
card with caching disabled ? coz that's what I currently have. Is it say
worse that a Linux box sharing over soft raid ?
- If I will be using 6 sata disks in raidz2, I understand to improve
performance I can add a 15k SAS drive as a Zil device, is this correct ? Is
the zil device per pool. Do I loose any flexibility by using it ? Does it
become a SPOF say ? Typically how much percentage improvement should I
expect to get from such a zil device ?

Thanks