On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Joerg Schilling wrote:

>> Ummm, no.  SATA and SAS seek times are not even in the same universe.  They
>> most definitely do not use the same mechanics inside.  Whoever told you that
>> rubbish is an outright liar.
>
> It is extremely unlikely that two drives from the same manufacturer and with
> the
> same RPM differ in seek times if you compare a SAS variant with a SATA
> variant.

I did find a manufacturer (Seagate) which does offer a SAS variant of
what is normally a SATA drive.  Is this the specific product you are
talking about?

The interface itself is perhaps not all that important but drive
vendors have traditionally selected that "SCSI" based products are
based on high performance hardware with a focus on reliability while
"ATA" based products are based on low or medium performance hardware
with a focus on cost.  There is very little overlap between these
distinct product lines.  It is rare to find similarity between the
specification sheets.  It is quite rare to find similar rotation rates
or seek times.

Bob